Tuesday 22 March 2011

Wisdom in Extra Curricula Activities...

‘Alli, how far?’ I hollered at my best friend.
He smiled as he trudged toward me, carrying a stack of files.
We are having our LOM meeting’ he replied preening his tie.
‘Oh!’ I rolled my eyes,  Alli was the President of the Junior Chambers International (JCI), an extra curricula group on campus. They engaged in entrepreneurship seminars and the like. I could not fathom why students will not face their studies squarely; considering the tons of course work we have to contend with, but instead join clubs and all sorts.
I hoisted my knapsack a little higher, and in a slightly supercilious tone, I announced ‘Okay, I’m off to the library’.
Alli smiled cheerfully and set off toward his meeting venue, while I trudged the beaten path to the library.
In school, these clubs existed in their droves; JCI, AIESEC, Students in Entrepreneurship… and it seemed a waste of time to me (then)  to join these sororities (as it seemed), pay semester dues (give them my money), attend meetings (give them my time) and buy their branded  T-shirts for outings (give them more money again! ahh ahh!).
That phase of schooling completed, and as I traverse the web searching for scholarship opportunities, a certain requirements stares at me like a nemesis; ‘extra curricula activity’. Foreign institutions (more often than not) and virtually all scholarship boards require evidence of prospective student’s participation in an extra curricula activity, during their time on campus.
Now, in retrospect, I see the wisdom of participating in those academic clubs and the like back then.  I can imagine Alli spitting out his credentials and getting the top pick for scholarship slots, before those without any such opportunities are considered. So if you are a student, make sure you have an extra curricula activity you partake in on campus, as this always comes in handy during job interviews, scholarship applications,  visa interviews… It portrays the individual as one who can multitask and come out with good results, even when working under pressure.
So pick a form- join that club today or walk into that community primary school and offer to teach a class for free twice a week; it always helps with the CV. Be an Alli!

No comments:

Post a Comment